Travelling with Pets
Here are the Steps:
1. Obtain an International Health Certificate from your vet for each pet traveling to Panama. This certificate will state that your pet is in good health and has been vaccinated against rabies. This certificate must be issued no more than 10 days prior to the date of travel.
2. Take the International Health Certificate to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency nearest you. They will stamp the certificate for you. There is no cost for this service.
3. Take or send the stamped certificate to Foreign Affairs Canada for authentication. There is no cost for this service.
4. Take or send the certificate to the Panamanian Consulate nearest you for authentication. The cost is US $30 per document. For more information about the authentication of documents please visit the Authentication of Documents Section.
6. When you arrive to Panama with your pet, you will have to pay US $130 for Domestic Quarantine. This fee allows you to take your dog home with you, and will avoid overnight stays in quarantine.
7. If the owner fulfill the requirements, the animal (s) must be given to its owner. If the owner no fulfill, the pet will be sent back to the country of origin using the airline used in the arriving to Panama.
Take note of the following ministry working hours in the Tocumen International Airport in Panama:
• The schedule of attention is from 8:00 a.m to 11:00 p.m Monday to Friday.
• The pets that come on weekends or holydays will be kept on the canil area of the airport.
If you do not arrive in Panama during these times, please make the necessary arrangements with the above mentioned authorities.